Sunday, July 6, 2008

PMCPP PRESENTS: Love Me Do

LOVE ME DO
PMCPP Analysis #10
KEY: G Major
RHYTHM USED: Again, no.

All right, so I'm totally getting off on a tangent with these non-piano songs, but when I found out that Paul wrote Love Me Do, I couldn't resist covering it, piano or not. So let's get this over with so I can cover something that actually includes a god-damn piano.

THE GUITAR: I do think this deserves special mentioning, the guitar part. Straight quarter note strums (with a very rare eigth note thrown in) on 2 different chords for most of the song? That's seriously about as easy a guitar part as you can get. No riffs? Not even any rhythmic fun with it? Come on, even for the first song by this band it's not up to par with most starter songs. Hell, a 8 year old could write songs more playable than this.

All right, I'm done, on to the laziness!

LAZINESS IN SONGWRITING: Basic repeating of what you already know is in evidence here, such as the easy home key of G and the usage of just I IV and V chords. It's the WAY they are utilized that sucks ass especially here.

Most of the song is spent on I and IV in an unholy lovefest of happily switching between those 2 chords every measure without fail. The ONLY exception to this rule is during the bridges. A V chord shows up twice per bridge, giving it a grand total of 4 measures of appearance in the whole song. Considering the verse section appears in some form 6 different times in the song, I'd say it's in the vaaaaaaaast minority of harmonics here. Anyone else catching glimpses of All Together Now here?

I don't really think I have to bring the lyrics into this, since it's fairly obvious how skimpy they are. There are a grand total of 16 different words used in the song. Considering that every other freakin' word is "love", that's made even more pathetic sounding. I suppose I should give kudos to them for making such little material somehow spread out evenly over a 2 minute lag-fest.

Also of note is the fact that originally the harmonica part wasn't in the song after Macca wrote it. Lennon came up with it. (thanks for pointing out my previous error, spookierthanu!) What's this mean? Originally, this song was even MORE generic and without merit without that harmonica part. And what was Lennon supposed to do before he got the harmonica part? Another guitar part? I don't think so Tim.

WHY PAUL GOT AWAY WITH IT: Give him a break, it was one of his first songs. Although I must say it does give a nice glimpse into the future of lazy songwriting for Mr. McCartney, I'll give him a pass this time.

Just once though.

- UZ

4 comments:

spookierthanu said...

Correction on this one: the harmonica was a part of the arrangement prior to them working with George Martin.

spookierthanu said...

It was just that, as arranged by the group, Paul and John would sing "Love me" together with John going back to the harmonica riff leaving Paul singing "do" alone. Martin made the change that Paul would sing the entire title alone, instead of Lennon awkwardly switching back to harmonica mid-line.

UZ said...

Thanks, didn't catch that error. I am aware at the very least that the harmonica part wasn't written by Martin, however, so the overall point stands I think.

D said...

To be fair to Paul, that uninspired guitar part wasn't his fault. The uninspired bass part was, though.

NOTE:

This series and blog is totally tongue in cheek. I really do love Paul McCartney.